We were booked by the client one year in advance to do works at their residence. The client wanted to be hands on with the job as much as possible but conceded that he needed trades people when it came to technical facets in building. We had to remove the existing roof structure at the rear of the house and build a new structure. This was to have the same pitch as the middle of the house.
The client arranged the scaffolding through one of my clients and made the site as safe as possible. As well as installing new trusses and a roof the sides of the house were to be recladded because new powder coated double hung aluminium windows were installed.
Once the trusses were made we fixed all the top plates to the steel bearers with bolts. We marked out our spacings then started installing the trusses one by one.
It is important to brace your first truss well once it is in position and plumb. If you do that every thing just falls into place. Once we got to the old trusses we pulled them out one by one. Note : where you have a girder truss make sure your connection points into the old part of the house are as solid as the new. Sometimes joist hangers need to be used with extra fixing points.
At the same time as I was sheeting the roof the windows were installed by a carpenter. Once the windows were placed in and fixed the two sides of the house were re cladded with new pine weather boards. Another subcontractor primed and painted everything.
There was one last thing that had to happen and that was to put in commercial glass stacker doors. The client wanted a seamless look where the track was hidden in the ceiling. So when the installers came in we had to pack out in-between the trusses so that the tracks had fixing points. I always fix ceiling battens but if we wanted uniformity with the old and new we had to fix straight to the bottom cords of the trusses.
I was asked by the client to extend the main bedroom above the garage. A walk in robe cavity was to be built it was actually the replication of the existing building only extended by 3200 mm. The downstairs supports had to be altered to make it open plan with no posts. This meant that engineering had to be done in order to work out this building solution. PFC Beams were to be used and tied into the existing members of the building to disperse the load.
The steel posts and the LGL had to be removed.
I had to get plates and beams cut close to size by my metal fabricator then I transported all the material on my truck to the work site.
Once the steel beams/posts were welded, bolted and chemically set into place we had to place struts into the webbing of the existing trusses as the load points shifted.
Here we are double platting a floor joist which will be tucked on the outside underside of the floor. We are laminating and leaving space for three tie down rods. Below is the start of our framing.
Tie down, speed bracing, roof insullation and facia installed.
Once the roof was water tight we fixed and set the gyprock. We didn’t fix the front window in until we brought in all our wall and ceiling plaster sheets in over the roof. Tip Before you build, work out a plan which includes materials delivery for each stage of your works. Sometimes you need to get materials weeks in advance to work areas before you close off that area.
External cladding was replicated as before. We recycled the cladding from the previous gable and used it to do our stitching around the windows on both the front and rear faces. This was an existing masonite sheet. The side where the gable is has a similar pattern being made of concrete fibro. We gave the sheets a couple of coats of paint before fixing them to reduce painting on the roof. Nails and gap filling will have to be done and nail heads painted but cutting will be not be required where the cladding meets the roof.
The client wanted a bulkhead built over the bed head. This was best achieved by having all the plaster square set in that area. We did the setting and sanding and the client will do the painting.
This is how it looks now.